Google Search

For weather information from across the nation, please check out our home site National Weather Outlook. Thanks!

Chicago Current Weather Conditions

Chicago Weather Forecast

Chicago 7 Day Weather Forecast

Chicago Weather Radar

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Survival of the Fittest: Hurricane Irene Will Not Threaten My Family (ContributorNetwork)

FIRST PERSON | OAK ISLAND, N.C. -- At any given moment, I can take my family two blocks to the beach to enjoy a day filled with sun and fun. Living in Oak Island has its perks, but the drawbacks are living in a constant state of fear during hurricane season. Mother Nature is powerful, but nothing will threaten my family.

According to the latest information from the National Hurricane Center, Hurricane Irene is expected to make landfall Saturday near Wilmington, N.C., 30 minutes away from my house. Am I scared, yes, but I will do everything to prevent loss of life and property.

Preparing for the Worst

Last year, the North Carolina coast felt the effects of Hurricane Earl and survived unscathed. This year, I am not taking any chances. When the initial reports circulated concerning the path of Hurricane Irene, I jumped into action. With my home sitting only 5 feet above sea level, my fear is the storm surge engulfing my home with water.

I grabbed all of the important papers, birth certificates, bills and placed them in a water resistant bag. My children became my little helpers and began packing cloths for the next several days as my wife filled both cars with gas and got extra money out of the ATM.

Canned food, potable water, chargers and computers were situated in one centralized location. All of the mattresses are moved to the highest location in the house with extra linens placed in trash bags to prevent water damage. With only two access roads leading off the island, I have to be prepared to leave at a moment's notice.

Stick It Out or Head for the Hills

Hurricane Irene is forecast to make landfall as a Category 3 with sustained winds of 110 mph. A storm of that magnitude is not something I am willing ride out, so we are leaving Friday. We are driving to Fayetteville, two hours away from my home. The town is still in the path of Hurricane Irene, but my family and I have a greater chance of survival. We only hope that when we return back home we can still enjoy our fun in the sun with a house untouched by Hurricane Irene.


View the original article here