Google Search

For weather information from across the nation, please check out our home site National Weather Outlook. Thanks!

Chicago Current Weather Conditions

Chicago Weather Forecast

Chicago 7 Day Weather Forecast

Chicago Weather Radar

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Quote Roundup: Do Hurricane Predictions Make Waves with Tampa Residents? (ContributorNetwork)

Tampa, Fla., residents can't help but hear about hurricane season each year, and most wonder at our luck in this regard: the area hasn't seen a direct hit from a hurricane in over 90 years.

Last week, the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration released its hurricane predictions for the 2011 Atlantic Basin season, which starts June 1. The agency's forecast indicates we're in for a bumpy ride this year, with higher-than-average numbers for named storms and major hurricanes. So, how do locals prepare for hurricane season? Do the NOAA predictions make people more likely to rethink their hurricane preparedness?

"I maintain the same level of preparedness all the time, to be honest. I always keep bottled water on hand, canned food, and food that doesn't require refrigeration or heat to prepare or eat. There are always batteries in my flashlights (I test them regularly) and jar candles in every room. If there's a storm coming, I'll get cash from the ATM and fill the tank on my car, just in case. I'll check our water supply and maybe buy an extra case when I shop, or fill a prescription early. Beyond that, I don't buy into the media frenzy that happens every time they name a storm. I stay prepared all the time because we live in Florida. It's smart to stay ready rather than fight crowds when it's allegedly 'go time.'" -- Angie Nash, teacher, Clearwater

"I really don't pay attention to them. They've been wrong more often than they've been right. I have supplies ready here, but it's nothing specifically for hurricanes." -- Ryan Opel, government contractor, Riverview

"I haven't lived in Tampa all my life, but it's been a long time. My husband's been dealing with it a lot longer, so I trust his judgment. I know he keeps a close eye on the tracking. One thing I do find annoying is that when we moved into this house we made an investment to put a coating on the windows that's supposed to help with breakage and eliminate the need to board up all the windows, and the insurance company didn't give any kind of discount for it." -- Sara Rashas, scopist, Lutz

"We get pretty concerned, but we're already pretty prepared. We have plenty of canned goods, gallons of water, but we do get a little complacent just because it hasn't happened to us yet, not directly anyway. In Puerto Rico, we used to get a lot of hurricanes, so we're pretty used to it. In all, though, I think people who have lived through hurricanes do heed the warnings, but get complacent regardless." -- Mave Christian, nurse, Tampa

"I really don't do anything differently until I have to. I have lived in Florida my entire life. I don't even really think about it at all unless we have to evacuate, then I get what we need." -- Melissa Webster Conway, daycare aide, Crystal River

"I hadn't heard that we're having a busier than average season, but I've been duped in the past. I'm one of those jaded Floridians who has a few canned goods and bottled water. I also have a phone you can plug into the wall. Everything seems to go around us. We're in this perfect little hidey hole in Florida. I've had more damage done to my house and around my house when they've predicted a sunny day." -- Lindsay Fisher, karate studio director, Lutz

"I have lived in Florida since 1973. For almost 30 years, I lived near the beach. The only time I get really nervous is if there's a specific storm headed our way. I'm always prepared. We have a generator, because any strong storm usually knocks out our power. We're in a good location. My daughter and her family plan to evacuate here if there's ever a storm headed to Tampa." -- Debbie Smith, retired nurse, Gainesville

"After living in Florida for over 20 years, I have to say that I'm rather laid back about the subject. It doesn't matter to me if they say it's going to be a bad hurricane season since I've heard it too many times before. Most times, the season passes without cause. I deal with one storm at a time and what it brings us. If a storm were to hit, I think we could manage quite well for a time. My husband and I have talked about where we'd go if a storm came close. We agree that we'd leave our house and get to safer ground if things were looking bad. We have a 4-year-old so I think this makes us think a bit differently than we would have in the past. I think the most important thing that you can do is just stay informed about the weather, because it could change at any moment." -- Susan Eidam, homemaker, Tampa


View the original article here